Title: Fleet Manager
Rate: £23.99 - £25.72
Location: New Shire Hall Alconbury Cambridgeshire- Part Remote
Type: Temporary - 6 months
Opus People Solutions are working with Cambridgeshire County Council to recruit for an interim Fleet Manager that can come into a blank canvas and organise the fleet asset inventory. Overall purpose of the role is to maintain and improve the running of Cambridgeshire County Council's fleet service. Undertake management duties, administration, staff supervision and arrange training and develop operational processes. Establishing the provision of office, financial, management and supervision of transport support services, to ensure that services are delivered to a highest standard.
Ensuring the In-house transport fleet meets the requirements of the Council, liaising with external suppliers to ensure vehicle serviceability. The fleet manager will provide leadership in the review of its fleet management arrangements and provide recommendations for how best the Council should manage it in the future.
- Able to review the structures, processes, controls and database used to currently provide the service, with comparison to other best practice models.
- Provide record of the total number of fleet items broken down by type and service including current usage levels of fleet items.
- Undertake cost reviews relating to management and ownership of fleet items, and options to make savings.
- Test appropriateness of current systems of control for the allocation and management of fleet and fuel e.g. tracking of vehicle use, driver behaviour, fuel purchasing and use.
- Test appropriateness of current IT systems and use of technology that is used for the management of fleet and/or to connect fleet with other IT systems e.g., use of tracking, links to customer contact centre, use of fleet to collect data.
- Manage and monitor expenditure working with external suppliers ensuring regular meetings to review fleet procurement and to manage the budgets allocated to the fleet service.
- Makes appropriate decisions in regards to effective use of fleet vehicles and allocation including regular challenge where inappropriate resource is in place.
- Provides management support and advice to vehicle operators.
- Manage lone working staff across the authority area.
- Seek to sell vehicle usage for additional activities as appropriate in keeping with operational licence.
- Makes recommendations and implements service improvements, ensuring the cost effective utilisation of fleet staff and vehicles, ensuring vehicles and equipment remains safe and compliant with legislation.
- Manage day to day operations including working with various internal and external agencies to ensure best representation of the authority and delivery of service provision.
- Responsible for advising staff and external providers of safe operation and delivery of fleet transport for all users.
- Manage and supervise a team of people, ensuring recruitment, selection, induction, learning and development is undertaken. Maintain the day to day management of drivers including leave, rota's and sickness absence.
- Flexible management to ensure lone working staff receive appropriate, timely and regular supervision and action any concerns to ensure maximum output.
- Degree level qualification in relevant discipline or substantial experience managing fleet in a similar environment
- Recognised Industry Standard Accredited qualification in all types of 'Accessible' vehicle equipment and passenger assistance