Opus People Solutions on behalf of Milton Keynes Council, are recruiting for a Senior Transport Planner with a focus on Scheme Development for an initial 4-month contract to start end of June or begioning of July 2022; offering hybrid work.
This role is based in Milton Keynes.
The ideal candidate would:
- Have experience working in local government in a transport planning role
- Have experience managing projects and developing schemes from concept through to more advanced design and funding bid stages.
- Have a good and up to date understanding of the Transport Policy context applicable to Milton Keynes.
- Have good team working, report writing and communication skills
Skills and experience required:
Transport policy and strategy: in depth knowledge of the latest local, regional and national transport and planning policies
Experience and knowledge from working in liaison with Highways' service delivery teams - such as with respect to traffic regulation orders, statutory consultations, requesting design work etc.
Stakeholder engagement - be approachable and confident at communicating with stakeholders at different levels - members (town and parish, ward councillors, MPs, cabinet member), residents and businesses, partners and wider stakeholders, internal colleagues etc
Project management - be organised and have basic project management skills, ability to coordinate work and monitor progress of a project delivery, ability to communicate and escalate any issues to ensure smooth and efficient project delivery.
Scheme development work likely to include:
- Developing, supporting and potentially overseeing delivery of pilot Mobility hubs project, encompassing;
- E-scooter procurement
- Santader bike hire expansion
- Car club expansion
- Low Emission Vehicle Infrastructure (LEVI) bid
- Active travel work
- Working with highways to programme smaller schemes from Local Cycling and Walking infrastructure Plan into 5 year capital projects programme
- Oversee the development of 20 schemes to feasibility design stage by an external consultant.
- Data gathering
- Assist with procurement and delivery of work to collect data on trip patterns and travel behaviours of MK residents and businesses (i.e. household surveys/travel diaries)
- Assisting with work associated with our Mass Rapid Transit and Bus Service Improvement Plan projects.
- Assisting with funding bid preparation