Opus People Solutions on behalf of North Northamptonshire Council are looking for a Maintenance Surveyor to join the Housing Team.
This is a full- time role. Office based in Kettering, Northamptonshire.
Initially, placement would be for 2 months- perm role, subject to performance.
- To inspect void properties or properties requiring repair and organise a schedule of works so that the property meets the quality standard and is made available at the earliest opportunity.
- To be responsible for the timely hand over of void properties to the Housing Management Team for re-letting, on completion of works.
- To be responsible for carrying out stock condition surveys on properties in the housing stock.
- To be responsible for carrying out and arranging structural surveys to properties, prepare tender documentation and deal with any planning or building regulation applications.
- To be responsible for the supervision, line management and direction of a team of tradespeople working for the Council's Housing service. To include performance management, absence management and the management of conduct and capability.
- To monitor repair and survey data in order to identify key maintenance areas for inclusion in future planned maintenance and capital programmes.
- To be responsible for producing and circulating an agreed quality standard for works on occupied or void properties in the Council's housing stock.
- To arrange for works orders to be issued to contractors.
- To be responsible for post inspection of properties ensuring that work has been completed to the correct standard in a timely way and within budget.
- To provide progress reports on the management and performance of the maintenance service to the Property Services Manager and Maintenance Manager.
- To assist in the provision of an effective and efficient emergency service by ensuring that sufficient trades people are appropriately skilled and available to carry out the requirements of the service.
- To ensure that all statutory requirements, standing orders, contract regulations, financial regulations and other relevant requirements are adhered to in the management and maintenance of the repairs service.
- To provide information in relation to any complaints or enquiries from customers, Members or the Senior Management Team.
- To ensure the effective and expeditious implementation of relevant legislative changes regarding maintenance works as they affect the Council.
- To work with Project Surveyors on capital programmes with regards to future maintenance works.
- To advise and support colleagues on maintenance works as required.
- To prepare estimates for the Council's capital and revenue programme and to utilise the Council's financial management system where appropriate.
- To undertake site visits as necessary to fulfil responsibilities.
- To respond appropriately to customer enquiries and provide accessible customer information in a range of media, including by letter, telephone, email and face-to-face (both on site, in the office and through the Customer Service Centre).
- To investigate complaints made in relation to the service provided by the section, or against members of staff under the management of the post holder, and to work in coordination with the Maintenance Manager and Property Services Manager, to ensure that such complaints are appropriately responded to in a timely manner.
- To identify opportunities to improve customer service, deliver efficiencies and, contribute to the development and implementation of service improvement projects.
- To ensure compliance with the Council's procurement policy and process, including financial standing orders and the Council's constitution.
- To ensure compliance with all Council policies and procedures, with particular reference to the Health and Safety, Equal Opportunities and Communication policies.
- To support the Head of Housing when the service is being audited and to assist in ensuring that all audit recommendations are completed in a timely manner.
- To undertake other duties, which are commensurate with the salary, skills, knowledge and experience of this post, as and when required by the Property Services Manager.
- To participate in the Council's emergency call-out service on a rota basis.
Essential skills/ experience:
- Minimum of 2 years' experience of maintenance in a local authority or housing association in the capacity as a building surveyor or equivalent and, involved with day-to-day repairs and void property repairs management.
- Experience of line managing qualified trades personnel.
- Trade background with a wide knowledge of the building industry.
- Relevant Degree or evidence of equivalent experience in the building industry.
- Willing to undertake training as and when required to cover changes in regulation and legislation.
- A commitment to providing excellent customer service - being responsive, flexible, and dedicated to 'getting it right first time'.
- A dedication to being your best at all times - being professional, pro-active and open to new ways of working.
- An enthusiasm for team working - being collaborative, innovative and showing support and respect for colleagues
- Excellent verbal communication and presentation skills.
- Able to produce clear, concise and persuasive written reports and letters on complex issues.
- Working knowledge of health and safety regulations.
- Ability and willingness to take part in the council's emergency call out rota / procedure.