Apply for job role
Call us for more information or fill in the form below
|Duration||initially 12 weeks, permanent role subject to performance|
|Hours per week||37 hrs|
|Rate||£40.00 per hour, negotiable|
Opus Northamptonshire on behalf of North Northamptonshire Council is looking for a qualified EHO with environmental protection experience (especially nuisance complaints) and an acoustics qualification (either the Institute of Acoustics Diploma in Acoustics and Noise Control or the Institute of Acoustics Cert. of Competence in Environmental Noise Measurement). Experience of dealing with contaminated land would definitely be a plus.
It is a full time position with an office in Kettering, however, some working from home available. Mileage allowance. Assignment initially for 3 months, permanent role subject to performance.
1. To provide an effective enforcement service, advise and give guidance on environmental health matters commensurate with the level of responsibility in particular relating to contaminated land, noise control, anti-social behaviour, air quality, pollution prevention and control, licensing and complaints of statutory nuisance and including research as necessary reflecting the Council’s priorities and service culture.
2. Review and respond to consultations appropriately on behalf of Environmental Health as a Responsible Authority with regard to the Licensing Act 2003 or any amendment thereof and any associated legislation.
3. To assist the Team Leader (Environmental Protection) in the assessment and management of noise from major entertainment events, including representing the team on Safety Advisory Groups
4. To review planning applications and approval of condition applications with regard to environmental health impacts and respond appropriately to Development Control, giving advice where necessary.
5. To carry out inspections and deal with applications and any other duties as required for the full range of premises under the Pollution Prevention and Control Act 1999, as required by the Team Leader (Environmental Protection)
6. To assist the Team Leader (Environmental Protection) in ensuring that the Council complies with its duties under Part IIA of the Environmental Protection Act 1990 regarding land contamination, including assisting in the development, review and implementation of the Council’s Contaminated Land Strategy
7. To assist the Team Leader (Environmental Protection) in co-ordinating the development, implementation and maintenance of a strategy for the review of air quality in previous Kettering Borough Council’s area. Provide information and guidance on the Council’s air quality to customers as appropriate.
8. Gather evidence for formal action; prepare evidence for presentation in Court/Committee/Tribunal and give evidence in Court/Committee/Tribunal.
9. Play an active role in leading and working on projects, with internal and external partners as necessary, to achieve service goals. This will include the planning and promotion of relevant issues or campaigns, including the delivery of talks to relevant bodies, exhibitions and displays at appropriate events.
10. Prepare Civica (or other software) and other reports as requested, commensurate with the level of responsibility of the post.
11. Analyse and interpret statistical data for the purposes and determining observations, making recommendations and / or carrying out actions
12. Train colleagues & undertake training as required.
13. To deliver an effective and appropriate service to all service users, fairly and without discrimination.
14. Play an active part in delivering the Authority’s public health agenda where applicable to the postholder’s duties or where required to do so.
15. Actively engage in work on projects in the key areas and work with internal and external partners to achieve service goals, providing technical and legal advice as necessary.
16. Prepare and implement training courses, seminars, etc. with assistance from other team members.
17. Attend Committees and other fora as required.
18. Will take a lead role in one or more of the team’s ongoing activities / projects, developing an expertise in specific areas of work as agreed by the Team Leader.
19. Provide support, advice and guidance to other officers.
20. Review and develop service policies and procedures including taking responsibility for policy documents and a specific subject area.
Qualifications and experience:
Hold a CIEH accredited qualification in environmental health and a Full Member of CIEH.
Current experience in local authority environmental health team dealing with Environmental Protection.
Experience in working within teams and with partners to deliver services or projects.
Experience of working with people at all levels including members of the public Knowledge of current Public Health priorities.
It is a full time position with an office in Kettering, however, some working from home available. Assignment initially for 3 months, permanent role subject to performance.
Call us for more information or fill in the form below
We get sight of all temporary and interim vacancies for Suffolk County Council and Babergh & Mid Suffolk District Councils first. By working through Opus, you will be notified of the job opportunities before any other recruitment agencies are even aware.
We have a wealth of knowledge and experience within the public sector, with many of our employees having previously worked for and with both Suffolk County Council and Babergh & Mid Suffolk District Councils for several years.
In the last month alone, we filled 95% of jobs using our own pool of registered candidates. The remainder went out to our trusted supply chain.
“I have found Opus People Solutions to be effective and efficient. Staff in the team take good care to help candidates and managers, with accurate information and advice.”
Balwinder Kaur, Interim Assistant Director
“Opus are a friendly, quick responding group, who have always been able to provide the resources as and when I need it. Thank you for making my job that little bit easier!”
Martin Finbow, PC Skills Centre Manager
“I highly recommend Opus as an agency. They were extremely supportive through all the recruitment process and the relevant paperwork. I’m thoroughly enjoying my new role and my colleagues are extremely friendly.”
Andreea Catarov, Business Support Officer
“I have found that Opus colleagues are good at matching the skills of people to the vacant post; the CVs I have received have been ‘spot on’. The process for recruiting a temporary assignment is clear and well supported by Opus staff.”
Sue Farrow, Placement Team Manager
“Thank you for providing me with the excellent job searching opportunities, easy to use website, efficient register process, friendly and helpful staff. I had a great experience of using Opus and will definitely choose Opus again.”
Ronnie Tidy, Assessment Co-ordinator
“I have had great success working with Opus on our recruitment requirements. The level of success we have experienced working with Opus and sourcing and filling our vacancies, has been excellent. I have built up a brilliant working relationship with them, they have the time to fully understand our business and recruitment needs.”
Hannah Pittock, Schools’ Choice
“Opus was very helpful in the recruitment process, I was lucky enough to get a placement within the council instantly. The team are incredibly friendly and are always happy to help.”
Jamaal Guthrie, Customer Service Advisor
“Opus have been great in finding temporary work for me. They have been extremely helpful and I would highly recommend their services if you are looking for a platform to build skills, confidence and gain experience in a work place and further.”
James Brown, Business Support Officer
“Opus were able to source and provide a number of specialist professional engineers on both long and short term arrangements to help me manage workloads. Managing these appointments via the online portal was a straightforward process.”
Colin Godfrey, Structures Manager
“The service I received was fantastic, Opus helped me obtain a temporary position to gain office and professional experience which I lacked after finishing university. My temporary position was also made permanent in a role that I found both enjoyable and interesting.”
Megan Lloyd, Customer Service Advisor