Opus People Solutions on behalf of Peterborough City Council are recruiting for a Health and Safety Advisor to join their team on a temporary contract
6 months initially, potential for 6 more months
Sand Martin House (main office), other council locations and remote working from home
Overall purpose of the role:
To advise the employer, employees, partners and contractors (within Service Level Agreement criteria) on all matters of health and safety at work and monitor compliance through audit and inspection
1. To provide professional advice to all employees, managers and members on health and safety matters both proactively and in response to enquiries or complaints
2. Provide reports to managers/senior managers on areas of non-compliance and advise on remedial action that is required to ensure that it is brought into compliance
3. To assist in ensuring that any new or revised health and safety legislation is considered and implemented by the authority and to other bodies who are provided with a health and safety service level agreement.
4. To assist in the development of training or instruction in a variety of formats including face to face, written material and e learning modules
5. To deliver health and safety training, induction and other instruction where competent to do so
6. Give such assistance and advice as is necessary to both the employer and employee for the maintenance of a safe place of work
7. Assist in the development of, and consult on policies and procedures to support the authority's compliance with health and safety legislation
8. To assist with the provision of information requested by the authority's insurance team in respect to civil or criminal litigation by or against the authority
9. To attend the Directorship Health and Safety Committee, and other meetings as required, to provide advice and guidance on all matters relevant to health and safety
10. To inspect and assess contractors working for or on behalf of the authority, or on the authority's premises, to check compliance with health and safety legislation and contractual obligations where competent to do so
11. In conjunction with employees and managers, assist with the development and production of positive and preventative systems of safe working including safe working practice documentation
12. Provide and monitor an accident and incident reporting system for managers and employees that ensures compliance with reporting requirements
13. Assist with the investigation of all accidents and incidents which require reporting to HSE, and notify them as required
14. Analyse causation of accidents and incidents with a view to identifying trends and preventing future recurrences
15. To create invoices and assist with managing the financing of the service level agreements and other commercial initiatives undertaken by the health and safety team
16. To provide professional, competent advice to other bodies who have entered into a service level agreement with the internal health and safety team.
17. To audit premises and workplaces occupied by employees of the authority, contractors, visitors and service level agreement clients for compliance with health and safety legislation
18. To represent the authority at meetings with the relevant enforcement authority e.g.the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) as required
19. Assess potential contractors and suppliers on behalf of the authority with respect to health and safety pre-contractual tendering procurement
The applicant will be expected to have completed a NEBOSH Diploma in Occupational Safety and Health, or equivalent, and have a minimum of 3 years' experience in a relevant field.
You will be expected to carry out the role as outlined in points 1-19 above.
The applicant will be capable of working effectively as part of a team, but also confident working alone at times, with minimal supervision. You will be working within the Authorities buildings, land and any locations covered by service level agreements. You will be capable of dealing with complex tasks, have a sound knowledge of health and safety legislation and experience in the application of appropriate standards within the workplace. The post holder will be expected to be familiar with the process of health and safety inspections and/or auditing, with an ability to produce concise and accurate reports. You will also have experience of recording a log of inspections and audits on a case management system.
You will need to hold a full UK driving license and have a vehicle insured for business use.